Great Performances Catering has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Anne McCarthy, Chief Operating Officer
Harris Rand Lusk
260 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Please e-mail your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put “GP HR” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Great Performances Catering is seeking a skilled, smart, sophisticated, and supportive human resources professional to become its Director of Human Resources (“Director”). Reporting to the Chief Business Officer, the Director is a critical member of the management team and supports Great Performances’ mission, values, people and culture with exceptional personal sensitivity and skill. The Director of HR has three direct reports—the HR Manager, an HR Admin, and the People and Culture Specialist. Providing guidance and expertise to executives, managers and staff throughout the organization, the Director develops and implements strategic initiatives, which reflect best practices and that drive and support a highly engaged and performing organizational culture.
They must be an adept leader with a demonstrated ability to develop and promote organizational values of accountability, diversity, inclusiveness, equity and autonomy. They guide or manage talent acquisition, retention, regulatory compliance, equitable compensation, DEI strategy, benefits strategy, payroll and administration, the performance management system as well as the day-to-day operation of all human resources processes and procedures. Familiarity with hospitality rules and regulations as well as experience with labor unions, particularly Local 100, greatly preferred.
The Director should have substantial experience in managing human resources for diverse and complex organizations. They will possess excellent speaking and writing skills and be able to communicate successfully and persuasively within the organization and with outside contacts, consultants, and legal counsel, when necessary. The successful candidate will be highly organized, diplomatic, possess sound judgment as well as honed interpersonal skills, and maintain a sense of humor under stress.
Recruitment and Training:
- Develops and oversees recruitment strategy, processes, and procedures for the organization
- Manages all aspects of the exempt employee recruitment process (advertise, phone screen, interview, reference/background check, extend offers, new hire paperwork process) including exempt positions onsite with our partner venue locations as well for corporate office, culinary, warehouse and purchasing departments.
- Manages relationship with external recruiters
- Conducts on-boarding and new hire orientations for exempt new hires
- Supervises the efforts regarding recruitment
- Identification and supervision of the research, development, drafting, coordination and presentation of training materials, programs, seminars, and conferences for all employees
- Conducts post-training analyses to evaluate, measure and report results; modify and enhance programs as needed
- Conducts annual state and city mandated sexual harassment training
- Maintain record keeping system for employee attendance in training programs
- Creates, develops, implements, and maintains a company-wide new hire orientation program
- Guides and counsel’s managers and supervisors regarding the Company’s practice of progressive discipline.
- Liaise with Chief Legal Officer, when necessary, in areas of employee relations
- Responds to employee requests, questions, complaints, and issues.
- Conducts investigations regarding harassment, sexual harassment, and other major Employee Reference Guide policy violation issues
- Updates employees about ongoing company initiatives and announcements
- Attend and participate in all required meetings.
- Constantly monitor the staff’s appearance, attitude, and degree of professionalism to ensure their strict adherence to standards of quality service.
- Respond properly in any emergency or safety situation.
- Review all final warning and termination disciplinary action forms to ensure consistency and legal compliance
- Administer the company employee appreciation program
Benefits and Payroll:
- Oversees and develops benefit plan offerings for the organization, including and not limited to Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, Transit Check program
- Manages employee benefit plan renewal processes in conjunction with CLO, brokers and third-party administrators
- Liaise with payroll provider contacts regarding services and features related to payroll and time and attendance systems/software
- Supervises HR departments efforts regarding payroll and administration duties
- Key Administrator for managing HR Functions
Procedures and Compliance:
- Develops and implements Human Resources policies and procedures
- Serve as main Human Resources point of contact for day-to-day issues for employees and managers
- Provides advice and counsel to employees, managers and supervisors regarding Human Resources and employment law related best practices, policies, and procedures
- Ensures compliance with all federal and local employment and labor laws
- Maintains and creates job descriptions in conjunction with managers
- Liaise with Chief Legal Officer regarding verified complaints filed by city, state or federal agencies as well as civil suits filed against the company related to employment matters
- Files annual EEO-1 report with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Provide support to the annual EPL application process
- Administer the 401k Retirement plan, 401k Audit and the filing process 5500 reports, etc.
- Administer the 5500 reports for health insurance and FSA plan
- Maintain employee files/records
- Manage and Administer the Workers Compensation for company, including OSHA logs, safety guidelines, etc.
- Human Resources graduate degree or equivalent (MPA, etc.); candidates with equivalent, applicable experience and HR certification (PHR, SHRM) will be considered
- Demonstrated success managing HR processes through the entire employment life cycle, from recruitment and hiring a diverse workforce through performance management and departures
- Prior experience in implementing DEI best practices;
- Knowledge of multiple HR disciplines and best practices, including employee relations, compensation and benefits administration, change management and organizational development, in both theory and practice
- Understanding of the demands of operating a high end catering business, and sensitivity to the dynamics of effecting change and sustaining a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace
- Keen understanding of employment laws and regulatory systems and requirements
- Demonstrated computer proficiency and familiarity with HRIS systems and processes
- Ability to act with sensitivity, tact and responsiveness and maintain confidentiality in personal employee matters
- Effective and persuasive communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal, to groups both large and small, with ability to appreciate various viewpoints, share relevant information in a timely manner, and maintain a high level of professionalism
- Ability to effectively present trainings, benefits information and other HR topics to diverse groups of employees and to communicate with clarity as well as with sensitivity in smaller meetings
- High level of emotional intelligence with a positive outlook and good sense of humor
All positions at Great Performances Catering are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.