The Greater Jamacia Development Corporation has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Parterner & CEO
Anne McCarthy, COO
Harris Rand Lusk
260 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Please put “GJDC CEO” in the subject line of your emailed application
Greater Jamaica Development Corporation (GJDC) is a community-building organization founded 55 years ago to revitalize Jamaica and strengthen the region by planning, promoting, coordinating, and advancing responsible development. Gathering the resources of the public, private, and not-for-profit sectors, GJDC’s work expands economic opportunity and improves quality of life for the ethnically and economically diverse populations, which benefit from rational, well-planned, and sustainable urban growth.
GJDC has become a nationally recognized model for economic transformation and community regrowth. Through its programs, investments, political relationships, and growth plans, GJDC has helped bring new affordable housing to the community, revitalized the downtown commercial areas, modernized streetscapes, created new and inviting public spaces, made it an entertainment destination, and functions as a community builder moving the diverse groupn of stakeholders forward together for a better Jamaica . Its committed and skilled staff of 27 supports businesses through GJDC’s financial assistance programs and has helped bring jobs benefiting Southeast Queens. It provides low cost parking facilities and has established much needed co-working space to support current and emerging businesses. In nicer weather, it runs local marketing events and sponsors a farmer’s market.
As we emerge from the pandemic, there will be new opportunities to pursue to support the business, retail and residential communities, and the Greater Jamaica Development Corporation will continue to play a leading role in making Jamaica a prime area for entertainment, commerce, and education as well as a great place to live and work.
The Greater Jamaica Development Corporation is seeking a dynamic and entrepreneurial leader to be the next President and CEO. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned manager, with deep knowledge of community development finance, community economic development programs, workforce development, and the regional markets in order to leverage strong relationships with the public, private, philanthropic and nonprofit communities. The candidate will be familiar with the greater Jamaica, Queens neighborhood, adept at listening to local needs, and prolific with tapping the needed resources to focus on community priorities and implementation.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the President and CEO will provide the strategic direction and guidance for all aspects GJDC’s work. The position requires a strong commitment to the role of community-based nonprofit organizations as agents of positive community change as well as an understanding of, and appreciation for, other key public and private partners who can offer additional resources to the work of economic development in the region.
Excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills are critical. The President and CEO must be comfortable and tactful in communicating with the individuals who benefit from GJDC’s work as well as with corporate executives, local business leaders, elected officials, public agency administrators, funders, and the community. They must be able to work closely with the Board and staff in a transparent, honest fashion that promotes inclusiveness, cooperation, and teamwork. In addition, they will be bright, diplomatic, analytical, creative, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment as well as a sense of humor, humility, and compassion.
- Bring and deploy a deep knowledge of real estate related resources and capital development strategies utilized in real estate and community revitalization efforts, including leveraging government and private sector resources.
- Provide leadership on community development policy issues in the region.
- Advocate on behalf of GJDC at the local, state and federal levels to secure the tools necessary to advance a comprehensive development strategy.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships at the highest levels of local and state government as well as in the corporate and foundation sectors.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with community organizations and other advocacy groups engaged in public policy issues.
- Represent GJDC on key community task forces, commissions and other policy bodies, as appropriate.
- Identify and cultivate leadership from key corporate, foundation and other prospective donor sectors who share an interest in community development.
- Seek out new and creative resource development strategies and evidence-based practices for GJDC and the community development field.
- Assist in engaging a wide variety of community partners to help bring holistic and integrated services to targeted neighborhoods.
- Develop, lead, and maintain a shared community development agenda through dialogue with local government, state agencies, other private and quasi-public financial institutions and intermediaries, advocacy groups, and community-based organizations, and the use of data to inform decision making.
- Promote effective development strategies to attract resources to targeted under-served populations and neighborhoods.
- Minimum of ten years senior level experience in community development finance, economic development, or related field.
- Demonstrated commitment to GJDC’s mission.
- Demonstrated ability to attract and sustain philanthropic funding.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, real estate or related fields. Advanced degree preferred.
- Demonstrated track record in providing leadership for the development of strategic vision.
- Ability to establish priorities that align with a strategic plan and manage multiple agendas and programs effectively.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including experience speaking publicly in diverse forums.
- Fluency using and understanding data to inform decision making.
- Entrepreneurial spirit; ability to seek out creative approaches to community issues.
- Proven ability to work in culturally and ethnically diverse environments.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to inspire trust and motivate staff and partners.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people and organizations, including senior level corporate, philanthropic, public sector representatives and community leaders.
- Demonstrated management experience, including staff development, financial management, and office administration.
GJDC offers a competitive salary and benefits package. All positions at GJDC are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
All employees of GJDC must be vaccinated against COVID-19. GJDC is currently on a hybrid work schedule.
For more information about the Greater Jamaica Development Corporation, please visit their website at www.gjdc.org.